DX Out of Date allows you to display a notification box on your posts
when a given amount of time has passed. Quite handy when writing tutorials
or any content that might get outdated due to external factors – now you
could automatically notify your readers after a given period.
You can configure the expiration time of your posts in the admin panel. Valid time units are days, months and years.
Currently the plugin options are:
- Period – “amount” of “duration” units (1 to 40)
- Duration frame (days, months, years)
- Message – the message format for the notification box
- Enable by default – a checkbox for enabling the message on all posts by default
- Enable post status in Dashboard – a checkbox for adding an extra column in the Dashboard for the outdated status of posts
- Post types to affect – allows you to choose which post types for display the message for
- Position of the message – choose whether the message should be displayed at the top or at the bottom of a post’s content
- Background color – Choose a background color for the message
- Text color – Choose a text color for the message
- Custom CSS – Add custom CSS rules to the message box
- Upload the
dx-out-of-datefolder in the
- Activate the
DX Out of Dateplugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to Settings -> DX Out of Date
- Configure your time period and customization settings
- Save the form and you’re good to go!
Other ways to display the “Out of Date” box snippet:
- Use the
- Call the DX_Out_Of_Date::outdated_box_generator() function right before rendering the post
How to configure the duration/period settings?
These are the options that define what an “outdated” post means. For instance, selecting
means that every post older than 6 months would be qualified as “outdated”.
Can I limit the message to show only on certain posts/post types?
From the Out of Date Settings page, you can choose which post types will have the outdated message (Default is Posts only).
In the Post Edit page you have a checkbox, which toggles the message for that specific post. The Default state of that checkbox can be changed
from the Plugin Settings page via the “Enable the message by default on all outdated posts” checkbox.
Can I customize the Outdated Message?
You can customize the content of the message from the “Message” field in the Out of Date Settings page. On top of that, you can
change the Background and Text colors to your liking.
Why would I need this plugin?
If you write tutorials or articles related to products/services in a given state,
updating them could affect the validity of your resources. A good example is one of
the resources that led to building the plugin – Brandon’s blog,
with his custom approach for marking tutorials as outdated.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“DX Out of Date” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Applied WPCS to all files
- Removed unused CSS files
- Optimized CSS delivery
- Replaced deprecated functions
- Added doc comments to all functions
- Updated screenshots
- Updated readme.md file
- Code speed optimizations
- Removed notification from archive views
- Fixed wrong translation domains
- Fixed typos
- Made the default options make more sense
- Improved the way we check if a post is expired
- Added a “Settings” link for the plugin in the Plugins page
- Added support for Block-based themes (e.g. Twenty Twenty Two)
- Improved the “Enable Message by Default” functionality
- Added an option to choose which post types to display the notification for
- Fixed notice when banner is not visible
- Added new section – Enable the display of the status in post
- Refactor section – Choose a skin for your template
- Added new section – Choose the position of the message
- First stable plugin version
- Admin settings
- Single view display
- Time options