All three of the major search engines offer some kind of website service. The most popular being Google Webmaster Tools. Yahoo offers Site Explorer and Bing has Webmaster Center. All three require that you verify your site and offer various methods to do so. This plugin uses the meta option and inserts a meta tag in your sites section of your site.
For additional help check the plugin page at: http://www.jamespegram.com/webmaster-tools-verification/
- Download and extract the zip file, upload the webmaster-tools.php to your wp-content/plugins directory of your WordPress installation.
- Enable the plugin in your admin panel.
- An option for Webmaster Tools will appear under Tools.
- Enter the verification code for each service you wish to use
Visit the plugin page (http://www.jamespegram.com/webmaster-tools-verification/) to see more about it.
- Where do I get the verification code?
Go to either Google Webmaster Tools, Yahoo Site Explorer, or Bing Webmaster Center, find the option to add/verify a new site then select the meta option. You be provided with a piece of code and instructions to add it to your site.
- What do I do with the code once I have it?
All you need is the actual content= code, the plugin will automatically format the meta tag when it inserts it.
Ex.: Google will give you a piece of code like this: <meta name=’google-site-verification’ content=’dBw5CvburAxi537Rp9qi5uG2174Vb6JwHwIRwPSLIK8”>
You want to copy the code: dBw5CvburAxi537Rp9qi5uG2174Vb6JwHwIRwPSLIK8 and paste it in the input box for Google. If you’re still not sure just copy the whole string they give you, it should parse the code out for you.
- I’m using WPMU but I don’t want the plugin automatically activated for each site. Can I just put it in the wp-content/plugins directory so each blog owner can choose whether or not they want it activated?
You sure can. Just be sure not to copy it into both locations.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Webmaster Tools Verification” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- V1.00: Initial release. [Jan 1, 2010]
- V1.10: Minor update. [Aug 27, 2011]
- V1.20: Minor update. [Jan 11, 2012]