This plugin provides an easy way to get involved with beta testing WordPress.
Once installed it will enable you to upgrade your website to the latest Nightly, Beta, or Release Candidate at the click of a button using the built in upgrader.
By default once enabled it switches your website onto the point release update channel.
For the more adventurous there is the option to switch to the bleeding edge (trunk) of development.
Don’t forget to backup before you start!
Please enable auto-updates for this plugin to ensure future changes are properly handled with core updates.
There is a setting to Skip successful autoupdate emails. It functions to disable sending emails to the admin user for successful autoupdates. Only emails indicating failures of the autoupdate process are sent.
There is a setting to Hide the Report a Bug feature.
Report a Bug
This feature will hopefully promote the testing and reporting of issues to the appropriate location.
There is a Report a Bug admin menu item to directly take the user to the Report a Bug tab in WordPress Beta Tester. In the Report a Bug tab you can copy a bug report template for use in Trac or GitHub.
PRs are welcome on GitHub.
- Upload to your plugins folder, usually
- Activate the plugin on the plugin screen.
- Navigate to Tools … Beta Testing to configure the plugin.
- Under Mulitsite, navigate to Settings … Beta Testing to configure the plugin.
- Visit Dashboard … Upgrade (Or Tools … Upgrade in versions before 3.0) and update to the latest Beta Release.
Contributors & Developers
“WordPress Beta Tester” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
3.5.4 / 2023-09-09
automatic_updates_send_debug_emailfilter to turn off sending debug email
mysql_get_client_info()no longer in PHP 8.2, switch to
- make anonymous functions static
3.5.3 / 2023-08-10
- update for changed standalone afragen/test-reports plugin
- set actual next beta/RC in messaging
3.5.2 / 2023-07-12
- fix dev-notes URL
3.5.1 / 2023-07-06
- add setting in
Extra Settingsto hide
Report a Bug
- add filter
- update if
Report a Bugplugin active
- link to settings if
Report a Bugis hidden
- update for latest WP API responses, thanks @dd32
3.5.0 / 2023-06-30
- update dashboard widget for MarComm publishing of posts
- update to correctly identify Opera browser in
Report a Bug
- update API query when channel set to beta or RC and version is non-current
WP_Beta_Tester::switch_update_offer()to correctly display ‘Update’ or ‘Re-install’ buttons on update-core.php
- remove unused item from Extra Settings tab
3.4.1 / 2023-05-26
- Report a Bug only for logged in users
3.4.0 / 2023-05-21
- update to point release if set for development beta/rc and new point release occurs
3.3.8 / 2023-05-18
- update composer.json
- update GitHub Actions
- update to correctly return ‘upgrade’ or ‘latest’ offer when set to ‘beta’ or ‘rc’ stream
3.3.7 / 2023-03-28
- better fix for spacing of bug report copy
Report a Bug: update database data for SQLite
3.3.6 / 2023-02-25
- fix spacing of bug report copy
3.3.5 / 2023-02-22
- updated dashboard widget with some better dynamic information
Report a Bug: introduce search button
- updated strings
Report a Bug: Truncate the value of mysqli::$client_info
3.3.4 / 2023-03-20
- PHP 5.6 and
EOD, why we can’t have nice looking code in the editor
3.3.3 / 2023-03-20
- add an icon 🐞
- improved environment data and display
- improve clipboard text for insertion
- lots of other stuff for Colin to do
3.3.2 / 2023-03-17 🇮🇪☘️
- more fixes for ‘Report a Bug’
- updated/added strings
- some developery stuff
3.3.1 / 2023-03-17 ☘️
- update readme
- sort listed plugins in ‘Report a Bug’
- add mu-plugins in ‘Report a Bug’
- fix for multisite
- initiate plugin in
3.3.0 / 2023-03-16
Report a Bugfeature, thanks @costdev, @ironprogrammer
3.2.9 / 2023-02-27
- mitigate some issues/possible issues with PHP 8.1/8.2
3.2.8 / 2023-02-07
- Composer 2.5.2 is fixed.
3.2.7 / 2023-02-07
- revert to Composer v2.2.x locally for autoloader compatibility
3.2.6 / 2023-01-30
- revert to Composer v2.5.0 as v2.5.1 has bug causing fatal, fixed in next version of Composer
3.2.5 / 2023-01-29
- added auto display relative fields immediately bleeding edge option is selected, thanks @Preciousomonze
- fixes for PHP8.1
3.2.4 / 2022-11-07
- return empty array for 8.1 compatibility
3.2.3 / 2022-09-29
- update for PHP 8.1 compatibility
3.2.2 / 2022-06-23
- correctly use
WP_Config_Transformerto get anchor if wp-config.php has been modified
3.2.1 / 2022-04-13
- update composer to work with PHP 5.6
3.2.0 / 2022-04-12
- fix for transition from WP x.9 to WP x.0 to display correct next versions
3.1.5 / 2022-01-28
sanitize_file_name()maybe have attached filter that changes output
- fix variable docblocks
- update nonce checks
3.1.4 / 2021-09-24 Hotfix
- don’t load
wp_create_nonce(), load in
3.1.3 / 2021-09-23
- nonce, escape, and sanitize all the things
3.1.2 / 2021-09-04
- only use
esc_attr_efor translating strings
3.1.1 / 2021-07-11
- add @10up GitHub Actions WordPress SVN integration
- update Codex links for HelpHub links @audrasjb
3.1.0 / 2021-02-08
- update for working correctly if new
WP_AUTO_UPDATE_COREconstant is used.
WP_Beta_Tester::channel_switching_modification()to update past current release if appropriate
- tweak next versions when coming from point release to bleeding edge
3.0.10 / 2021-01-11
WP_Beta_Tester::get_current_wp_release()to check https://api.wordpress.org/core/stable-check/1.0/
WPBT_Core::get_next_versions()if user on current release
WP_Beta_Tester::channel_switching_modification()to work correctly with $wp_version <= $current_release and if on current release
3.0.9 / 2020-12-01
- add conditional for filter to fix
core_update_footer(), fixed in r49708
- simplify some
- fix PHP warning
3.0.8 / 2020-11-28
- fix some PHP errors when using older versions of WP, for testing updates directly from these older versions like when using Core Rollback plugin
3.0.7 / 2020-11-24
- tweak to
3.0.6 / 2020-11-21
- improved flow between Bleeding edge and Point release
3.0.5 / 2020-11-18
- don’t show beta as a next version when on RC
3.0.4 / 2020-11-17
- fix to correctly downgrade from Bleeding edge to Point release nightlies.
- hide stream options other than Nightlies for Point release channel until new Updates API changes
- add settings for future Updates API above
channel_settings_migrator()for switching between
3.0.1 – 3.0.3 / 2020-10-27
- fixed regex to get next versions
- really didn’t need to use
ReflectionClass🤦♂️, thanks @pbiron
ReflectionClassto get static variable
3.0.0 / 2020-10-23
- major refactor for new core update API, thanks @dd32!
- now requires PHP >5.6
- allows for overrides when using the
- update on-screen help
2.2.13 / 2020-09-05
2.2.12 / 2020-08-10
- fix intermittent PHP warning #21
- deactivate and die if user attempting to run with
2.2.11 / 2020-08-01
- minor cleanup
2.2.10 / 2020-05-01
- sanitize, escape & ignore
- move multiline boolean operator to front of line, new guidelines in WPCS
correct_versions_for_downgrade()for being on current release version
2.2.9 / 2020-03-24
- delete development RSS feed transient after core upgrade
2.2.8 / 2020-03-17 🍀
- add Dev Notes and Field Guide links to dashboard
- add text/link for bug reporting to trac
- add help tabs to screen
- arbitrarily changed settings page id from
2.2.7 / 2020-03-02
- update trac link in callout for closed or reopened tickets on the milestone
- only show Beta Tester Settings page link in callout with appropriate privileges, using
- menu to Settings page also checks privileges as above
2.2.6 / 2020-02-25
- removed extra
</li>in dashboard callout, 4th time’s the charm 😭
2.2.5 / 2020-02-25
- less greedy regex for matching release posts in RSS for dashboard callout
2.2.4 / 2020-02-25 🤦♂️
- added dashboard widget for network dashboard
2.2.3 / 2020-02-25
- add dashboard widget callout for testing
2.2.2 / 2020-02-22
- fix for strange Core API response where preferred version response contained the word ‘version’. We now grab the last word of that response
2.2.1 / 2020-02-20
- fix some i18n strings, thanks @pedro-mendonca
2.2.0 / 2020-02-19
- added support for updating to the beta/RC offer. Based on and with tons of help from @pbrion, thanks Paul 👏🏻
- fixed so a downgrade from ‘unstable’ to ‘point’ serves the correct download
- test and exit from Extra Settings if
wp-config.phpis not writeable
2.1.0 / 2019-09-17
- add extra setting to skip successful autoupdate emails
- add description to checkbox settings
- composer update
- add update version information to settings page text
- a11y fixes for settings tabs
- a11y fixes for checkbox, thanks @audrasjb
- fix for incorrect last updated message
- near complete re-write to use more OOPy practices
- put distinct process into separate classes
- allows for multiple settings tabs for addtional settings
- remove extraneous code
- add GitHub Plugin URI header
- fixed error message for downgrading version, thanks @andreas-andersson
- don’t use $GLOBALS
- updated a few strings and correct typos
- run through WPCS linter
- fixed translation strings to include HTML in context and properly escape with
- fixed link to settings page under Multisite
- change wording from blog to website
- Escape output
- Indicate that Bleeding edge nightlies are trunk
- new screenshot
- code improvements from linter
- Remove anonymous function for PHP 5.2 compatibility.
- fixed PHP notice for PHP 7.1
- made URL scheme agnostic
- Fixed to work properly under Multisite.
- Update tested up to version to 4.7.
- Fix the location of the settings screen in Multisite (moved under Settings in Network Admin).
- Minor text fixes.
- Update tested up to version to 4.5.
- Fix PHP7 deprecated constructor notice.
- Change text domain to match the plugin slug.
- Update WordPress.org links to use HTTPS.
- Remove outdated bundled translations in favor of language packs.
- Update tested up to version to 4.2.
- Update screenshot.
- Fix a couple typos.